If your teeth are damaged in any way as a result of trauma or decay, dental implants could be the perfect solution for your smile. Dental implants have been proven to be the best long-term option for tooth replacement. This procedure is done by placing an artificial tooth “root” in your mouth to support a dental prosthesis such as a denture, crown, or bridge. The artificial root is made from titanium metal which fuses around the jawbone making the solution more permanent than other tooth replacement options. Before deciding to pursue dental implants, you ought to learn all there is to know about them so you can determine whether they are the best option for you.
What Are the Goals of Having Dental Implants?
- If you lose a tooth for any reason, you are not simply missing the actual pearly white but, also, the root that held the top of the tooth in place. Even though you only see the top part, the root plays an extremely vital role in bone growth and development of the jaw. Dental implants serve as a replacement for the root of a missing tooth. Most other replacement options only focus on the crown of the tooth. By replacing the root, a dental implant will help preserve jawbone mass and density over time.
- Dental implant procedures can be broken down into three separate parts or steps at high level: first, the titanium post is implanted in the jawbone. Next, the abutment is attached to the top of the post. Lastly, the crown, a prosthetic mold of your tooth, is attached to the top of that abutment. Be aware that some patients may require additional procedures such as bone grafting that must be performed before having an implant placed (or as part of your complete procedure).
- Over time, the titanium implants will fuse with your jawbone. Dental implants are the only restoration and replacement option that stimulates bone growth in your jaw!
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants and other interesting facts?
- Dental implant procedures have an incredibly high success rate. Generally, dental implants have a 95%+ success rate. It is the longest-lasting tooth restoration available.
- Dental implants look and feel natural. They are nearly indistinguishable from your natural teeth. Compared to bridges or dentures, dental implants make eating much easier. You don’t need to take special care when you are chewing since, unlike dentures, you don’t need to worry about dental implants slipping while you eat.
- Three million Americans have dental implants according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry and approximately 500,000 more Americans receive them every year. …so it’s not an uncommon procedure by any standards.
- And, finally, the best perk of dental implants: they cannot get cavities!
The biggest barrier for those who are candidates for dental implants is cost. Many dental insurance plans do not cover dental implants. The price can be steep for dental implants at an average of $5000 per implant. ZendyHealth can help you save 20-60% for a dental implant procedure with top providers, including an initial consultation, x-rays, the implant, a standard titanium abutment, and a porcelain fused to metal (PEM) crown. Start your journey towards a healthy, glowing smile today!